This class will be Friday, November 3 from 9 a.m. until noon at the Fiber Frolic Retreat
(Beginner Fair Isle &N Hat Project Course)
Learn how to knit Fair Isle with two hands in this playful course that gives you a chance to design your own hat in the size and style of your choice from ear flaps all of the way through stitch patterns. A variety of 2-color stitch options will be provided to help keep you motivated. Choose to repeat one or mix and match depending on your level of comfort. In the end you'll not only be able to work stranded colorwork, but you'll have the beginnings of a hat to show for it!
Instructions will be provided 2-3 weeks before the retreat for knitters to work their brim (or ear flaps) prior to coming to class. This will allow for more Fair Isle practice time during class! Use either Size 5 or Size 6 needles with your worsted weight yarn to knit your ribbed brim, or size 7 needles for your ear flaps.
-Knitting in the round
-Basic increasing & decreasing
-This course is suitable for adventurous beginning knitters who are comfortable with knitting and purling and ready to try something new!
Class time: 3 hours
Class size: maximum 16
-Fair Play pattern (supplied by Kate)
-Sizes included (Newborn, Baby, Toddler, Child, Adult Small, Adult Large)
- Yardage for two color hat: 40, 50, 65, 80, 100, 125 yards each of Color A and B
- To use more than two colors, make sure your total yardage adds up to a minimum of 80, 100, 130, 160, 200, 230 Yards total
- To include ear flaps on your hat, add 25 yards for that color. This color will not be worked in Fair Isle
- To include a stocking tail on your hat, add 50 yards for that color (This section will also not be worked with colorwork)
- Sizes 6, 7 & 8 16" circular needles and a set of DPNs (we will be swatching in colorwork before you begin your project and you will need a few size options to make sure you can get gauge)
Knitters Tools like scissors, darning needle, measuring tape, stitch markers